Friday, April 20, 2012

Lessons from Grace- MISSION

Update from the Avey's

After spending three years as the media and tech director at Grace Community Church in Goshen, IN, we will be moving on. I accepted a Worship Pastor Position at Grace Community Church in Frederick, MD. We are very excited about the move.

Though honestly, the transition is bittersweet. We are excited for what God has ahead for us. But we are simultaneously saddened as we love the church here in Goshen.

I have learned so much here. I love the DNA, the mission and leadership here. I am so happy to be spring boarding into further ministry from this sending church.
I will start up a series of posts that I will affectionately call "Lessons from Grace"
Some lessons I have learned from Grace Community Church in Goshen IN and by watching the leadership here;

Part 1- MISSION

Mission is huge (Notice I didn't say "MISSIONS" in the sense of missionaries, but MISSION-- what drives you and what God is calling you to do). It creates focus and unity. It not only determines what you WILL do but also what you DON'T do. It determines where you spend your time, talents and treasures.

Nothing can stop a church that is on mission. And nothing can motivate a church that has no sense of mission. Each church has to figure out what God has called it to do. Nothing will have a bigger determination on the efficacyof a church more than 1) the blessing of the Holy Spirit and 2) it's mission.

Mission provides clarity. Clarity provides unity. Bitter in-fighting that is (unfortunately) so common in churches (particularly in the areas of music/worship) are diminished because I can put up with my exact desires not being met if I know that you will do anything in order to save my unsaved grandson, neighbor or friend.

There is a ton more to say about this, but for now, Grace Community Church is awesome at this.

Lord, help me bring this sense of mission with me to my next assignment.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a blessing, Scott! You will be sorely missed, but we send you off with prayers, love and hugs...

    ReplyDelete